Thursday, 29 August 2013

Funky bottoms in real nappies


Real Nappies or cloth nappies whatever you want to call them. I've not long found them.
This is one of those subjects that I have friends that just don't get me on. I'm sure they think I'm going all hippy dippy with my extended bfing and now the cloth nappies.

Truth is that because I haven't gone back to work.  Money is getting tighter and tighter. If I can find ways to reduce our weekly out goings I'm going to give it a try.

I've thought about these a few times before.  Even with Miss H I browsed websites unable to get my head around them. This time I took the plunge.
There are so many to choose from and to be honest I still haven't got my head around all the different types.  I'd still like to learn more about pre folds and wraps. I started easy with the ones most like a disposable.  I have 4 pocket nappies and 3 close parent pop ins.


Left to right in the picture above you have my  3 close parent pop in nappies one white and two pink pattered. I honestly thought these would be the ones I would get on most with.  In reality I don't think they are.  I can't make my mind up on them.  I think they have the smallest fit. Considering Little Miss S isn't that big I'm not sure they will last until potty. I also find them fiddly getting everything in just the right place. I do however love the night time booster as it works really well for a 12hr stint through the night. 

Then you have one of my two blueberry nappies.  (One is currently on her bottom) I love the patterns and I'm finding the pocket style nappies a lot less fiddly. They are quick and easy to put on and off and seem to give a good fit. My only issue is the poppers are a bit week on the pad you stuff the nappy with. I will be buying more of these. 

The Gray nappy with pac man on was a cheap one off eBay from China.  Considering it cost me about £4 I'm actually quite impressed with it. The inserts weren't the best. But I have replaced that with a blueberry one. The only thing it's missing is tabs for the Velcro when washing to stop it sticking to everything but I've found a way around that. 

Lastly you have the Charlie Banana nappy.  To begin with I hatted it. I didn't get on with the adjusting of it.  And I hatted the popper fastening.  But I have to admit it is growing on me.  I've figured out the best way to fasten it around the waist and it has nice clean lines.  I reckon I will be buying more of these too.


One of the first things I noticed when I changed her first real nappy was what do I do with the wipe.  I very quickly changed from.  I don't get cloth wipes why on earth would you use them.  To I need cloth wipes then I can just chuck them in the pail with the nappy rather than having to separate everything out. You will see on the line there are some wipes I made myself which aren't holding up to the constant washing too well and also some cheap baby face cloths I found at the £1 shop that work a treat. I'm not sure what is best at the moment.  Leaving them in a container wet or using a foaming bottle each time. 
I opted for a dry pail bag which I wash each time with the nappies.  I really need a second one as I have no where to put nappies while this one is drying. 

I also really need more nappies. With the seven I have we can only wear them every other day with a wash and dry on the line in between. I can for see this becoming more of a problem when this glorious British summer comes to an end and I have to try and dry them indoors.

Now I need to learn more.  Pre-folds are much cheaper but I don't understand them.  Cost per nappy is the main thing holding me back at the moment :(
My other Bueberry Nappy

No comments:

Post a Comment